Friday, March 4, 2011

DPS production

I began designing the layout of the DPS and used an image I'd taken from a social event that involved both teenagers and alcohol in order to relate to the subject 'teenage binge drinking' and the interview (which I'd add later). 


I felt this was the most appropriate image as it illustrates both genders enjoying
 themselves and only one alcohol bottle present. It maintains the youthful tone I want for the publication but doesn't generically show teenagers in a negative light by insinuating they drink excessively when 'out on the town'. 
This photo does highlight teenagers being energetic, and possibly immature, which could then be interpreted as a negative image. I also felt it wasn't appropriate for this article because there is no alcohol present and it only consists mainly of two young females. 


I wanted an image that focuses only on alcohol, however I felt this was too posed for the point I was hoping to make in the article about the media manipulating the truth (to an extent). Therefore I chose not to include it. 

I used this image from the photo shoot for the main cover image to coincide with a fact I've decided to include in the DPS for an statistical impact on the audience. I also put the source of the information underneath to add creditability and authenticity to my piece:




For the article itself, I've used a blocking design in order to separate the interview, image, headline and weather reports from each other to mimic the layouts in magazines that have gained an established audience of young people. I took this on board and merged the newspapers color schemes to merge both design styles together in oder to attract a younger demographic:


I liked how certain phrases, or quotes where highlighter by contrasting color, font, and size against the rest of the text. This then advertises the most intriguing points in the piece that draw in the reader. I also incorporated an advice line at the bottom as a method of helping those struggling with similar issues raised:



To ensure the boxes are aligned correctly, I again used the margins and columns guide on InDesign:



This is my layout so far:





No comments:

Post a Comment